Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Break thoughts

Being home and relaxing these past few days has been....nice!

I went to Boulder, CO and Denver, CO with some kids from school and visited various types of firms. It was a lot of fun, and I'm really glad I went. I wasn't sure at first because I didn't know exactly what to expect from those firms and if they would disappoint me or make me really excited for what I'm paying to go to school for. It was shocking actually the range of places we went. We went to a large, large company and a very successful small, small firm. Then hit the more hip firm, and later hit the dry and wise shop. I don't want to sit here and pretend that any of these places were a perfect fit for me now. I still have a long way to go, and these reminded me of that. A lot of designers don't end up at their dream job out of college. It takes work and a lot of trial and error to happen. I was actually quite thrilled with this realization. It in some way took the pressure off for a moment.

Knowing and seeing what I experienced this past week has been great. And I'd love to go again next year, it's a great opportunity to see what's out there and see where a good fit is for you. Or if there is no good fit for you, make your way up to start what is.

Coming back to school will be tough, but being well-rested and dropping a very stressful elective will definitely help me finish the semester out successfully and I plan to really take advantage of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment