Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Final Statement: Juxtalines

My book, "Q & A" is a series of juxtapositions with photographs that I took downtown, with line studies; some manipulated, some manipulated then vectored, and some just plain line studies. Within this project the goal was to create a book with at least 6 spreads to interpret a part of Kansas City by only showing lines. My Images consist of objects such as: windows, structural beams, buildings, gutters, and stairs. I wanted to keep my photographs abstract enough to where you have to take a second or two to think about what you're really looking at. I really wanted to emphasize how important lines are in everyday life, they are obviously everywhere, and no one seems to notice them. My use of figure/ground and framing/cropping I feel played a large part in how I rendered each juxtaposition due to my cropping.
Title: Q & A. Due to my semi-abstract quality in my compositions I felt that people would start to question what they were looking at. So, I thought it'd be interesting to play off of a question, and have my book be the answer. So I basically ask, "What if lines did not exist?". I wanted to keep the book light hearted, so that these somewhat silly questions could be answered within my juxtapositions.



Combining the photograph and line study was probably the toughest part for me. It was difficult to find a good juxtaposition between two completely different characteristics, such as photography, and basic black and white line studies. Although, when you do find that one juxtaposition that does work it's an odd connection because you never would have thought that the line study that you created was actually out in the environment, it's quite the coincidence.

The way my book is arranged is by aesthetics. I tended to go towards: simple to busy, busy, simple, busy, busy. Arranging my book this way is to give the viewer somewhat of a break from a complicated line study and photograph, to something simple and understandable. I also tried to connect each photograph and line study to flow from spread to spread through their tone or the way their seams align.



No comments:

Post a Comment