Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye


I'm not really sure where to start this blog post, considering that my idea has somewhat shifted a bit, yet again. Although, it has the basic ideas there still. I want to continue with my idea of making, and making a lot. I met with Kidwell, Jamie, and Marty about my idea change. They liked it, but had a lot of questions and essentially helped me form a new approach for going about creating something in a new "style". 


I think where people were getting lost in my idea before is when I mentioned specific designers that have influenced me. By choosing specific people to be influenced by, it could be seen as copying, or getting "influenced" too much. So...going forward I can reference them, but I don't think I will be so attached to their style or process. Rather, I will look at principles or techniques within graphic design that I have been taught within the passed two and half years. 


Next is content. I need to have something to design about. I proposed the idea of it being about me. Things I've wanted to say, or do but just don't have the courage to actually do it. Then the question comes: Who would your audience be? ...that was a stumper...ME! and people like me...who could relate to those sayings and situations?...it's a stretch. So I moved on to something that I, personally, have related to in the past and really love; J.D. Salinger's book "The Catcher in the Rye". 


"The Catcher in the Rye" has so many topics and themes that I have personally felt either recently or in the past. I remember how much I enjoyed reading the style of this book. It is so sarcastic, and witty. The themes of the book are catogorized as: teenage confusion, angst, alienation, language, and rebellion. With that comes sadness, innocence, relationships, anger, etc... Quotes and situations from this book I think will give me a lot of inspiration, and make me excited about the content of the posters I'm wanting to make, because everyone can relate to Holden Caulfield in some way or another. 



This brings me to my answer to how I'm going to go about doing this project. My plan is to essentially, make. Make something everyday. Show it on my blog, and move forward with the next piece the next day. After I get my schedule really hammered out this may make more sense. But, essentially the first third of the process I will just make something everyday...the second third will be about mixing and matching different designs here and there, everyday....possibly make more everyday as well. Then for the final couple weeks is to really finalize items to make them into a great series of images/posters/whatever they will end up being. I'm really excited about this idea, because it will be me in the mind set of not being so attached to my work, and let me make more mistakes. I just have to let go and create. 

As of right now I'm trying to finish re-reading the book, I was already in the process as the school year started, so now I have a reason to actually finish a book finally. I've pulled quotes and situations from the book that I like/interested/relate to and have started a file. My first official day designing something everyday will be tomorrow (Wednesday). So get ready. Open to any thoughts. 


"Holden believes that to be a "catcher in the rye" means to save children from losing their innocence."

No comments:

Post a Comment