Saturday, May 8, 2010

Linear Process: Pattern/ Combinations/ Museum exhibit

Starting out with making patterns with our icons, trying to comment on how they would work with a narrative background. More of a conceptual view. Such as my birds circling the ants.
With this step we explored the idea of anchorage and relay. Anchorage is an anchoring device used to pull a word closer to the real meaning behind it. Relay is a way to find a new way of looking at the word, changing the meaning of the main word, possibly taking it into a deeper meaning. After this process this is when I discovered and started exploring the idea of using my icon set in a different meaning, a meaning relating to mother's as if they are getting held down by the "man" of the relationship. My final conclusion came to using five of my icons to start a museum exhibit identity.

Wine would represent- relief for the women
The bird would represent her being trapped, or controled
The cloud would represent a conflict in the home
The poisoned apple with the worm in it would represent her being neglected
And finally the ant would represent her worshiping her fellow companion.

I wanted to add a point of irony to the idea of this exhibit. Having soft nice tones with negative things said about women, in such a sarcastic tone.


This was the next step of exploring three different ways with our idea. I still kept the the picnic idea, but using words represent actions that might happen within a problematic picnic (I didn't find this as interesting, maybe because I was bit burned out by the idea, but also on how much I explored the idea of the feminist one) After looking at everything it came to the decision of going with the idea of pattern and word with the mother's prerogative. Which I was happy with, because the idea of having image, word, and pattern was a lot to handle to make look cohesive as a set.

After this crit there was still some corrections to be made:

And here we are now, I'm still making some tweaks here and there. I know I had a lot of trouble with how I dealt with the type within the title and Smithsonian logo, but hopefully I've battled it out enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment