Sunday, May 1, 2011

type4: final approach

Trying to draw up some ideas about how I am going to finalize and present my ideas "on paper". Going back to my initial question which was:


How can different materials manipulate one letterform. Such as an A or an F?


I started this this question thinking about a control group, and how I could compare my experiments to one another. I could still play with the size, and the approach, but focusing on the form and how the material manipulates it was what I was interested in. I used  a lot of different materials, a couple of main ones were tool, and wool. I used the tool to see how the translucent nature of the material would work with the letterform, while the wool, I needle felted either by free form, or by a stencil. The wool was interesting because of how not precise it turned out, even when I specifically used a stencil to have a clarendon T come out of it. The T turned out to still have a rounded corner, and while it seemed to have a bit more personality than a regular clarendon T due to the manipulation. 


For rapping up my project I have two ideas. 


ONE: Having a nontraditional swatch book, where there would be an image of the experiment I did in context, or an unusual context, or somewhat way of it being used in either the environment, or some sort of setting. This image would sit next to a 3"x3" square of the material I used to create that experiment, so the audience would be able to actually touch the material, to make the person feel apart of the process. 


TWO: Creating little stop motion pieces that surround the process I did, by adding the sound effects of the process of how each piece was made. I noticed that each one had a little significant sound that encompassed the tool used. I thought about this after talking to Tyler about showing the process of how each one was made, due to how my initial question was asked, it really focused on the process, so having my final piece surround that would be good. That's why I think having the stop motion be the final way is the way to go, although...I'm not so sure about producing this in the amount of time I have, that's why I need to keep it simple, and if I do that, I think it can definitely be done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment