Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Type 4: Writing

Looking throughout all the research I personally gathered I definitely found a repeating trend. I found I was more attracted to projects or artifacts that had to deal with actual objects. A photographic way of showing process within the final object, by being able to see the materials included. After experimenting in class on Monday, I was really excited about going further down that road. Not just with coffee grounds, or natural materials, but with yarn, and fabric, and food. The reason I think I'm also drawn to this idea is because of the traits it contains. The detail that comes with real materials is unpredictable, and it can come with some really nice unexpected moments. It's honestly hard to say where making type out of tactile materials started. There have been many typographic experimentation with this. Definitely before computers came along. I remember seeing words made out of flowers during the sixties. But as far as designers go, I think this is why Marian Bantjes has so much influence on me. She really looks to other materials to find good qualities in. Type made out of alternative materials I think can appear in a lot of different places. There are a lot of advertisements dealing with this theme, as well as other types of design, such as in posters and packaging. I feel the reason that this type of typography is around and is important to show visual ques to viewers to have them connect with something besides just the word.

1 comment:

  1. nicely written, taylor. i love being able to see all of the examples and then read your thoughts. a bit light on the importance of this area of practice. you can dig a little deeper into the significance of that idea of "connecting with something besides just the words". for starters, just about any typography that is "physical", not just flat ink on paper, is a bit different than the traditional, functional mode of visualizing words and ideas...

    ReplyDelete